Thursday, October 16, 2008

PBWiki versus Wetpaint

Both PBWiki and Wetpaint seem comparable in what they do. I found Wetpaint to be visually more appealing and a bit easier to use. I have been using PBWiki longer, if you can say that (since class started) so I was somewhat comfortable using it. However, in comparing the two, I found many more functions in PBWiki that I didn't know existed. Since I am not really a wiki-user, I might have overlooked something in one, or both, so please forgive me!

Wetpaint
  • many templates to choose from at time of setup
  • easy edit toolbar
  • toolbar is labelled making it easier to use
  • button on toolbar to insert widgets
  • can add own edit notes
  • has advertising
  • has a "to do" list
  • can email the page
  • easy to use HELP section
  • has many "social" features
  • can "promote" your wiki
  • has site statistics

PBWiki

  • toolbar is not as easy to understand
  • has sidebars
  • easy to use HELP section
  • can also promote your wiki
  • also has site statistics

Although I have been using PBWiki longer, I think that if I were to start another wiki (for personal use) I might switch to Wetpaint. I felt that it was very easy to use, the toolbar was easier to understand, and it was more appealing visually. If anyone can shed some light on some functions that I am missing, please feel free to let me know because I'm sure that Steve chose PBWiki for a reason!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Hi! Kevin from Wetpaint here. Thanks for checking out Wetpaint and we're glad you found it easy to use. One feature I wanted to point out is that we offer our service ad-free for educational purposes. To find out more about it, check out http://www.wetpaint.com/category/Education

Best,
Kevin
Wetpaint

MichelleW said...

No way! This is so funny! Yes I would LOVE the link so I am going to cut and paste it from his comment!