Saturday, September 27, 2008

"New to me" Social Software

Okay, actually del.icio.us was new to me, but I figured I should look for something else! I did however, search del.icio.us to search on the subject Web 2.0 and found a very interesting site. The site is http://www.pdf-search-engine.com/ is a book search engine that searches sites, forums, and message boards for pdf files. You can find and download e-books.

What "intrigues" me about this site is the endless possibilities. They have a number of search possibilities, including book search, ebook search, and downloadable free ebooks. They also have a full directory which you can search through.

I did find a "con" to this site. I tried to search for the MT Anderson book Feed but most of what was returned were pdf files on animal feed. One helpful pdf I did find while searching for Feed was RSS: A Quick Start Guide for Educators (which has a helpful section on Blogline).

Since I had no luck with Feed, I tried Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat and was excited by what I found. I found information on Theodore Geisel, a psychoanalysis of the characters in The Cat in the Hat, a pdf entitled If the Cat in the Hat Were a First Year Lawyer, information on Seussical the musical, teaching ideas that I can use for Dr. Seuss' birthday next year, and a downloadable sign language version of the book.

This is a site that I can definitely use in the future, either in teaching or in the library. I could see how this could really help me if I was working in a children's department in a public library. I could use it to find program activities, find out background information, or to just find interesting or funny parodies on other books. However, I can see how this site could be time consuming and possibly misleading, such as when I tried to search for MT Anderson's book. I will definitely return to this site to see what else I can find! Happy searching!

No comments: